Two people were forced to evacuate a yacht docked at a slip in Harbour Town Yacht Basin when a small fire began after a possible generator malfunction, according to a Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue Division spokesman. Crews arrived at the slip at 170 Lighthouse Road at about 3:30 a.m. Thursday to find smoke coming from several spots on the 60-foot boat, said Joheida Fister, division spokeswoman. No injuries were reported, she said. Fire crews had difficulty reaching the blaze, but had it under control by about 4:30 a.m., Fister said. The blaze appears to have started in the engine room near the onboard generator and was contained to that area. No damage estimate was available, she said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.