Latest News

Texas murder suspect accused of killing his twin sister captured in South Carolina

A Haltom City man confessed to a friend that he stabbed his twin sister, and he was seen at least twice with his bare feet heavily crusted in blood, according to a warrant.

David B. Conditt, 58, also tried to sell tools used in jewelry making after his sister was killed, according to the arrest warrant charging him with murder. The warrant was released by Haltom City police on Monday, the same day Conditt was arrested in South Carolina after being on the run for several days.

Conditt is accused of fatally stabbing his twin sister, Dena Wright, formerly Dena Conditt, last week at their Haltom City home.

He was taken into custody by officials with the United States Marshal’s Office Task Force and deputies with the Charleston, South Carolina Sheriff’s Office.

Conditt was arrested without incident, and he was in the Charleston County Detention Center pending extradition back to Texas.

His sister’s vehicle, a red Toyota RAV4, which authorities believe he took after the killing, also was recovered in Charleston, South Carolina.

The warrant gave this brief account of the killing:

On Tuesday, Wright texted a friend at 8:55 p.m. and asked if she could come over to his house to swim because she was having issues with her brother, David Conditt.

The friend did not respond to the text until Wednesday, but he welcomed her to come over to swim. Wright did not respond. The friend received a telephone call from another resident who told him that he saw Conditt at about 7 p.m. Wednesday and Conditt was driving a red Toyota SUV.

That resident found it odd that Conditt was in the vehicle because he knew Conditt did not have a driver’s license and never drove.

Conditt was seen getting out of the SUV with his bare feet crusted in what appeared to be blood.

The two friends decided to visit Conditt and went to his home at 7:38 p.m. Wednesday. Conditt spoke with them, but he would not allow them into the home.

Haltom City police were asked to make a welfare check on Wednesday evening, but no one answered and there were no vehicles at Wright’s home.

One of the friends reported talking to and seeing Conditt on Thursday. He was wearing the same clothes he had on the day before and his feet were still heavily crusted in blood.

When the friend asked Conditt if he had cut himself, Conditt said he had struck his sister, stabbed her and left her in the kitchen.

Conditt told his friend he was going to see his daughter in Oklahoma and he would not be seen anymore. Conditt then drove away.

But seconds later, the friend received a phone call from Conditt, who told him that he was at Taco Casa just across the street and asked if he wanted anything.

Haltom City Police Sgt. Eric Peters said officers found Wright, 58, with multiple stab wounds around 6:30 a.m. Thursday after they responded to her home in the 5700 block of Macneill Drive. Police then began a search for her brother and issued a warrant for his arrest.

Wright had been living with Conditt after he was homeless for a bit and she agreed to take him in, friends said. The friends said he has bipolar disorder.

Keli Stallings, a 56-year-old former classmate of Wright’s at Haltom City High School, said she saw Wright on Aug. 12 during a dinner with mutual friends. Wright told them for the first time how bad it had gotten with her troubled brother, who would often fight with her, as well as not take care of himself or bathe, Stallings said.

Friends suggested to Wright that she seek out a support group, Stallings said.

“She’s really struggled with him, but she’s taken care of him, all of his life,” Stallings said. “It’s just really, really sad. I just can’t believe this.”

This report contains information from Star-Telegram archives.

Related stories from Hilton Head Island Packet