Let's look at Ronald Reagan's legacy:
1. More officials in the Reagan administration went to jail than any other.
2. Reagan might have lost the 1980 election had not his emissaries -- as some have claimed -- gone to Iran and told its leaders not to complete a hostage deal with Jimmy Carter because Reagan would do them better. This turned the election in the last week. The hostages were released minutes after Reagan was sworn in -- a likely treasonous act by Reagan and his cohorts.
3. The Reagan administration illegally sold weapons to Iran and used the funds illegally to assist the Contras in Central America, a violation of U.S. law.
Never miss a local story.
4. Reagan should have gone to jail for the Iran/Contra affair. When asked what he knew, he could not remember. We are concerned about sex in the White House while ignoring that Reagan twice committed likely treasonous acts with Iran?
5. He did not cause the fall of the Soviet Union. The CIA predicted in the mid-1960s it would fall by the mid-1980s because their economic model would not work.
6. Prior to Reagan, this country was an overwhelming importer of raw materials and exporter of finished goods. The percentages have reversed because of his policies.
7. Since Reagan's policies, the gap between the wealthy and the rest of us has grown exponentially.
8. Reagan's denigration of government has led to citizens hating government and mistrusting everyone involved with it.
Hilton Head Island