South Carolina's new concealed gun law, permitting firearms in restaurants and bars, received bipartisan approval -- and I thought only our Washington politicians lacked common sense and were derelict in their responsibilities.
Worse yet, Sen. Tom Davis, our district's representative, a person I respected, was a sponsor of the bill. He said, "The provision would make restaurants and bars safer, not more dangerous." Really?
The Huffington Post wrote, "When you reach for that gun, you invoke someone else's right to protect themselves." A provocation can now turn an argument into a gun fight. It's similar to the Wild West again.
Less than 5 percent of S.C. residents have concealed weapon permits yet our "insightful" legislators denied the other 95 percent the right to feel safe to enter a restaurant with their families without fear of other diners carrying firearms. A S.C. mom's organization is currently campaigning for gun sense in America. Our state has the highest rate of women killed by men and the highest rate of law enforcement officers killed by guns.
Never miss a local story.
In addition, the law unfairly requires the restaurant owner to serve in a police capacity, monitoring patrons and posting optional signs.
This law is one example of politicians responding to special interest groups to the detriment of the majority of citizens.
NRA leaders are incorrect in stating, "Guns don't kill people. People do." Correctly stated: people with guns kill people.
Write to your state representatives to repeal this selfish, dangerous and narrow-minded law.