Two recent stories contained misleading information about Act 388.
Both suggested that the law shifted all costs for Beaufort County school operations ($177 million in 2012-13) to the owners of vehicles, commercial and rental buildings, vacant land, time shares and second homes. It did not.
Owners of property assessed at 6 percent still pay about 65 percent of the school operating budget ($115 million in 2012-13), just as they have for years, even before Act 388. The other 35 percent mostly comes from state funds, including the 1 percent sales tax collected since 2007.
The 1 percent sales tax means everybody -- visitors, renters and all property owners -- pay something toward school operations.
Never miss a local story.
Donald C. Peterson
Hilton Head Island