As a more than 40-year resident of Hilton Head Island, I consider myself deeply rooted in the community.
One of the numerous reasons for choosing to live here was to escape the elevated levels of pollution prevalent in the northern city I grew up in during the late 1960s. Moving to Hilton Head was like a breath of fresh air.
Unfortunately, that has changed. The amount of burning that my family has been exposed to has been steadily increasing as the population of the island increases. Some days, as I drive home, I am carried back to the pollution of the '60s as the smoke and particulates in our air are as thick as many cities.
On cold evenings, the smoke settles across our island to form a low-level cloud of choking smoke. If doors or windows are left open, the smoke creeps into our homes and HVAC systems, exposing us to who knows what chemicals.
Never miss a local story.
This is not the Hilton Head of the future. As we tout our community to the world as a great place to visit, live, work and raise a family in harmony with the environment, open burning is out of step. Visit www.hhinoburn.com to sign the online petition. Together we can compel our Town Council to ban opening burning for everyone's sake.
Hilton Head Island