Something quite important took place last week. The Hilton Head Island Town Council and town staff met for their annual planning session, this year during incredible hurricane-recovery efforts, to decide upon the priorities that will guide the town’s efforts, investments and resources next year.
What we agreed upon will position our island to reach and cultivate our own next generation, and showcase the unique quality of life and experiences we alone can present to the world. We will seek to accomplish the following:
▪ Continue the island-wide visioning initiative.
▪ Achieve further progress on the five-year sanitary sewer plan.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Establish the Hilton Head Island Cultural and Arts Network executive director.
▪ Schedule upgrades to our 8.5 miles of dirt roads.
▪ Identify and engage in meaningful initiatives to address workforce availability, including housing and transportation.
▪ Address storm sewer infrastructure gaps and necessary upgrades.
▪ Provide professional expertise to the town to address issues and enhance the opportunities of the heirs’ property owners.
I want to strongly encourage each and every citizen and island business to participate in the processes and get involved with these 2017 priorities.
If we succeed in achieving excellence in the methods we use to make progress toward our goals — in the forms of accountability, transparency, public and professional input and reliable measurement tools — then we will also succeed in securing our future.
Together we can establish a trust and certainty that steps will not be skipped and results will be clear, understandable, effective and reflective of our values and heritage.
Mayor David Bennett
Hilton Head Island