Columbia firefighters say a coffee pot that had been left on for too long caused a fire at a Columbia strip mall Tuesday night.
Crews responded to a smoke in structure call in the 5100 block of Farrow Road around 10:15 p.m. Tuesday night, Brick Lewis, a Columbia Fire Department spokesman, said.
When firefighters arrived, they could see black smoke coming from a barbershop located within the strip mall, but there was no visible fire from the outside, Lewis said.
Lewis said firefighters went in to the business and extinguished the fire, which had spread through the inside of the business, but not the neighboring business in the building.
Crews determined that a coffee pot, left on for too long, caused the contents of the pot to explode and cause the fire.
Lewis said no injuries were reported, and damage estimates are about $50,000.