Political party: Republican
Office: Beaufort County Council District 2
Number of years living in the district you seek to represent: 22 years
Never miss a local story.
Family: Wife, Martha
Education: University of Maryland
Current occupation/employer: Mentor with SCORE, the Service Corps of Retired Executives
Employment, military and volunteer history: Employment, military and volunteer history: U.S. Navy; more than 50 years of contract pricing and negotiating at Westinghouse Electric Company; managing partner developing Christine Place community on Lady's Island; vice president of finance of Horizon Services; volunteer on several citizen advisory committees; former board member and treasurer of Citizens Opposed to Domestic Abuse of the Lowcountry.
Public offices held: Beaufort County school board, 2006-2010
Unsuccessful bids for public office: 1973 special election for County Council in Prince Georges County, Md.
Other prior political and government experience: Procurement price analyst at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center from 1961 to 1963
Key endorsements you've received: The immediate past president of Dataw owners' association and a two-time past president of Royal Pines owners' association
Campaign contributions: $1,760
Campaign expenditures: $1,231.21
Biggest contributor: Jeff Baumhoer and Thomas Cameron, $250 each
Why should people vote for you?
1. More than 50 years of business experience with a solid background in finance and contract management, plus line-management responsibilities. This provides me with the ability to provide skills not currently available on council to any great extent. I have served on county committees that have provided a keen knowledge of many facets of county operations.
2. Formally licensed CPA in South Carolina, Maryland and West Virginia.
3. Many advanced courses in contracts and financial management.
What are the three most important issues you would address if elected?
1. Modernize budgeting and financial procedures, including transparency to council and to the public.
2. Ensure realistic contract estimating and presentations for approval to council, including cost/benefit analyses. Then provide proper financial reporting on operations and contracts. Currently there is no reporting to the council or to the public on contracts.
3. Protection of the environment. This means controlling development to avoid pollution, sprawl and massive infrastructure needs.
What other issues do you see as important?
1. More cooperation with our legislators to ensure receiving a fair share of road and education funds.
2. Cross training of employees to improve results.
3. Minimize executive sessions.
4. Improve employee productivity.
5. Search for cost savings to minimize budget increases.
What specific steps will you take to make government more open and accessible to the public?
1. As stated above, minimize executive sessions. Do public business in public.
2. Provide decent financial reports, including for construction, that are easy for the public to read and understand. After a meeting with county administrator Gary Kubic last June, I was authorized to provide recommendations to the county's chief financial officer, but, as of now, no results are evident.
3. I plan to hold quarterly town hall meetings to listen. These will continue if they are attended after publicity in the newspapers.
4. I agree with regular council meetings in Hilton Head and in Bluffton.
Have you ever been convicted of a felony, been disciplined by a professional licensing board or organization or had an ethics violation filed against you?
Have you ever filed for bankruptcy, been delinquent on your federal, state or local taxes? If so, please give the details.
Are there any personal details about yourself that voters would be interested in knowing?
- U.S. Navy veteran -- four years of service
- Member and usher at Parish Church of St. Helena in Beaufort
- Sunday school teacher in Maryland and Pennsylvania
- Honorary Girl Scout in Maryland
- Youth softball and basketball coach in Maryland and Virginia
- Member of Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce