A family dog in Massachusetts helped himself to some leftover pancakes — and almost burned the house down.
The Southwick Fire Department posted a video of the incident on their Facebook page Jan. 30 as a warning to pet owners.
“If you have pets or young children in the home, look into safety covers for your stove controls,” the post reads.
The homeowners left the pancakes sitting on the stove top, the fire department said, and one of their golden retrievers can be seen standing on its hind legs and grabbing the pancakes off the stove.
Never miss a local story.
That’s when the pup hit the ignition button on the gas stove, the fire department said.
Luckily, the homeowners had a monitored alarm system which alerted emergency responders. In the video, a police officer can be seen running in and turning off the stove shortly after the fire started.
The home was spared any severe damage, the fire department said.