Two women charged with misdemeanor assault and battery after a road rage incident in the Bluffton Promenade was caught on camera will face trial in municipal court on Tuesday, according to a Bluffton Police Department spokeswoman.
The two women will go to trial in municipal court at Bluffton Town Hall Tuesday afternoon, police public information officer Joy Nelson said. The women were charged on Sept. 17 with assault, 12 days after the violent encounter in the Bluffton Promenade parking lot.
The alleged victim told The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette she had been attacked by a man and woman who had accused her of speeding, leading to a confrontation that turned violent.
The woman said the pair confronted her in a parking lot at the Promenade as she walked to a nearby restaurant for work that day. She said the pair also accused her of nearly hitting their children with her car.
The two women exchanging blows was caught on camera by a resident and was turned over to police. The two women were both charged due to conflicting accounts of the incident, a police spokesman said in September.
Contrary to previous reports, the man seen in the video was not charged in the incident, Nelson said.
Follow reporter Matt McNab at twitter.com/IPBG_Matt.
- Bluffton Promenade road rage incident caught on camera, Sept. 11, 2015