Saturday's 25th annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep will help tidy up a dozen sites around Beaufort County.
The largest one-day litter cleanup of South Carolina's beaches and waterways is organized by the S.C. Sea Grant Consortium and the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.
Last year, 355 volunteers collected 1,365 pounds of garbage from 21 miles of Beaufort County beaches and waterways, according to the consortium's website.
This year, volunteers will scour sites across the county, including beaches on Hilton Head Island, the May River, St. Helena Island, Harbor Island, Hunting Island State Park and Fripp Island.
Never miss a local story.
Groups of Walmart and Starbucks employees will volunteer at county boat landings at Lady's Island and Pigeon Point, said Beaufort County recycling coordinator Carol Murphy.
"The Starbucks groups will even be bringing coffee," Murphy said.
In Bluffton, volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at Bluffton Oyster Factory Park on Wharf Street to clean the May River area, said Bluffton stormwater management director Kim Jones.
Starbucks employees will volunteer and provide coffee, while Walmart employees will grill hamburgers and hot dogs after they help with the May River cleanup, Jones said.
The number of volunteers at the site in Bluffton has slowly grown each year, Jones said. Last year about 75 volunteers participated, and she hopes that many attend this year.
Exact hours vary at each site, but the events generally last from about 9 a.m. until noon, Murphy said.
For more details about a cleanup site, contact the corresponding site captain:
- Oyster Factory Park -- Kim Jones, 843-706-4593, firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Joy Landing -- Phyllis Neville, 843-681-3646, email@example.com
- Mitchelville Beach and Fish Haul Creek -- Kathy Weatherhead, 843-342-3029, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Driessen Beach Park -- Daniel Gaddy, email@example.com
- Burke's Beach -- Carlos Chacon, 843-689-3033, extension 226; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coligny Beach and Islander Beach -- Phyllis Neville, 843-681-3646, email@example.com
- Beach near Sea Pines Resort -- Rob Bender, 843-842-1951
- Beaufort River -- Veronica Miller, 843-255-2741, firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. Helena Island, Lands End -- Bonnie Collins, email@example.com
- Harbor Island -- Fran Nolan, 843-838-4878, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hunting Island State Park -- Jane Ann Lotton, 843-379-5821, email@example.com
- Fripp Island -- Megan Stegmeir and Alex Iriarte, 843-838-1516, firstname.lastname@example.org.