My sister, Catherine, and her husband, Jan, have lived all over the world. Jan is an architect and, as such, has been in charge of building many beautiful structures. They have many friends in many places.
Last weekend they entertained a group of tennis friends to celebrate the visit of an English friend, Stuart Ringland and his family. Stuart, his wife, Marcia, son, John, and Stuart's sister were the guests of honor. Jan and Stuart met in the Abacos, where together they developed the Abaco Club for the Ritz-Carlton Corporation. Stuart is an international lawyer who now spends part of the year in Russia, where he is in charge of negotiations for his company, and the other part of the year at his home in Naples, Fla. His wife is from South America. They were so much fun to be with, and Stuart is a charmer full of wonderful stories.
Other tennis buddies enjoying the tall tales were Chatts Zeletes, chairman of the Special Tennis Olympics, Lois and Mark Sobczak, Kathy and Joe Redgate. Kathy is an accountant and just finished a busy April -- all delightful folks who live right here in Moss Creek. We dined on fried chicken, topped off with delicious cakes Kathy brought.
It was a really special evening.
* On Saturday evening, the Bluffton School of Dance held its annual gala event to raise money for the Dance Boosters of Bluffton. Money raised at the party will be used to bring nationally known dance instructors to teach at the school. The evening was a treat for parents and guests alike, who were happy to enjoy some of the dance students perform routines of their own design. There was music by Patterson Colt and the Peacemakers, good food and drink, too.
* The annual Hilton Head Island-Savannah Equestrian Exposition will be held on May 19 at Rose Hill Plantation. Eddie Maple, a Hall of Fame jockey, is the chairman for this year's fun. The Spirit of the Horse is the theme of the day. There will be a parade of breeds, jumping, horse racing and a polo match. Gates will open at 11 a.m. Proceeds benefit area charities. If you love horses and picnics, don't miss out on the fun. Call Iva Welton at 843-671-4865 or Priscilla Russo at 843-815-9059 for more details.
* The Music Man will open the 12th season of May River Theatre Company at 8 p.m. May 10. This is a great production suitable for all ages. You will leave the theater full of happiness, humming all of the marvelous tunes "right here in river city." Details: www.mayrivertheatre.com.
* The Lowcountry Women's Connection luncheon and fashion show will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 15 at Hampton Hall Community Clubhouse. The guest speaker will be Ginny Karelius, who will tell us how to lose weight and not get wrinkles. Sounds like a winner to me. Tickets are $24, and reservations may be made by calling Judy Murphy at 843-705-7950.
* The 35th annual Bluffton Village Festival is a party for all of us, so don't miss it. The weather should be perfect, and as always there will be fabulous things for sale. See you there from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., which is plenty of time to meet your friends and enjoy the best of Bluffton and beyond. So Saturday morning, shake your tail feathers and join us.
Babbie Guscio is the social columnist for The Bluffton Packet. She can be reached at The Store on Calhoun Street.