The Beaufort County Board of Education could continue discussions today about the status of a middle school principal who has been on paid leave nearly two months.
Included on the agenda for the meeting, which begins at 4 p.m. at the school district offices, is a closed session for "personnel updates."
Board chairman Bill Evans declined to say whether that session would include discussion of Phillip Shaw, the principal at H.E. McCracken Middle School who has been on paid leave since Nov. 8.
"My position is that we don't talk about personnel in public," he said.
However, Evans said newly seated board members needed to be updated on "unresolved personnel issues." He said he did not expect the board to reconvene in open session and take action following the closed session.
School district spokesman Jim Foster said Thursday that Shaw is still on leave. The district has acknowledged an ongoing review of school policies and procedures but has repeatedly declined to explain Shaw's absence further.
Foster added that the district has not met with Shaw since a Dec. 18 board meeting.
At that meeting, the school board discussed the issue in closed session and did not reconvene in open session to take any action. Then-chairman Fred Washington, Jr. said he expected more information about "exactly what transpired" at the school would be available that week.
Foster has said district officials must first meet with Shaw before they could release more information about his situation.
Foster also did not say whether Shaw's secretary, Denise Gibbo, is back at the school. Gibbo has not been at the school since about the same time Shaw left.
The board is also expected to set the agenda for its Jan. 11 and 12 work sessions and nominate members for the Beaufort-Jasper Academy for Career Excellence Board of Education at today's meeting.
- No word on McCracken principal's leave; Dec. 21, 2012
- Beaufort County School Board discusses McCracken principal's leave, takes no action; Dec. 18, 2012
- McCracken principal says leave a cover-up for ongoing problems with school counselor; Dec. 5, 2012
- Police close investigation of 'unauthorized' McCracken Middle account; Dec. 4, 2012
- Beaufort County School District discovers unauthorized McCracken Middle bank account; Nov. 30, 2012
- Beaufort County School District: McCracken Middle School principal to return soon; Nov. 15, 2012
- McCracken Middle School principal on leave; Nov. 13, 2012