Two condominiums on the north end of Hilton Head Island were badly damaged in a fire early Sunday, according to Joheida Fister, spokeswoman for the Town of Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue Division.
Firefighters called to Marsh Side Villas at 5 Gumtree Road at 7:07 a.m. found flames coming through the walls of one unit, F-16, Fister said. The fire, which started outside the building in a service area, caused significant damage to the residence's porch and attic, she said.
"The occupant had possibly placed ashes from their fireplace outside which may not have been fully extinguished," Fister said.
The residents -- an adult and three children -- received food, clothing and other items from the American Red Cross, as well as referrals to assist in their recovery. They cannot return to the home, Fister said.
Never miss a local story.
No one was injured in the fire, though a unit in an adjacent building, F-17, sustained smoke damage, Fister said. The fire was under control at 7:28 a.m. and extinguished at 7:36 a.m., she added.
Follow reporter Rebecca Lurye on Twitter at twitter.com/IPBG_Rebecca.