Two Beaufort homes were damaged in kitchen fires early Saturday morning, according to the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department.
Crews called to Washington Street about 4:45 a.m., found an elderly woman outside her home after food left on her stove set fire to her kitchen, Fire Chief Sammy Negron said. Firefighters contained the blaze to the kitchen, which sustained about $5,000 in damage, Negron said.
As the department was leaving, it received another call that Boyer Street residents could smell smoke and hear an alarm coming from a neighbor's home, Negron said.
Though nobody was home, that fire was also caused by food left unattended on the stove, he said. The Boyer Street home sustained about $2,000 in damage, Negron said.