A Lady's Island home was damaged by smoke after flames spread from a stove Friday afternoon, according to the Lady's Island-St. Helena Fire District.
Residents of Tucker Drive called 911 about 5:30 p.m. when they saw smoke coming from their neighbor's home, spokesman Scott Harris said. When crews arrived, the neighbors said someone was still inside the house, which had smoke pouring from under its roof, Harris said.
An 18-year-old male had been sleeping on a couch when the fire began, but woke when he heard smoke detectors and emergency vehicles, Harris said. He left the home on his own but was treated for minor smoke inhalation at Beaufort Memorial Hospital.
The home also had minor water damage. The fire district contacted the Red Cross to assist the family, according to Harris.
Never miss a local story.
He estimated the damages at between $8,000 and $10,000.