No injuries and minor damage were reported in three residential fires in Beaufort this week, according to a city of Beaufort news release.
The Beaufort Fire Department extinguished a laundry room fire Monday on Washington Street in Beaufort. Firefighters found combustibles stored too close to a gas water heater, the release said.
On Tuesday, Beaufort firefighters responded to a stove-top fire on Drayton Drive.
A space heater placed too close to combustible materials likely sparked a third fire Wednesday on Battery Creek Road, the release said.
Never miss a local story.
"Damage was minimized because of early notification, quick fire department response and the proper firefighting strategies," Beaufort Fire Chief Sammy Negron said. "We are fortunate to have highly-trained and highly-capable firefighters."
According to Capt. John Robinson, all three fires were unintentional, but preventable.
"None of these structures had working smoke alarms," Robinson said. "They were installed, but weren't working or had been disabled."