A fire destroyed a Hardeeville home Wednesday and displaced a 73-year-old woman, according to the Hardeeville Fire & Rescue Department.
Firefighters called to 72 Sanders Road for a stove fire at about 1:40 p.m. found smoke coming from the single-story home, Chief Dan Morgan said. They extinguished the flames, but not before the home was damaged by smoke and fire. It likely will be demolished, Morgan added.
The resident, who was uninjured, told firefighters she had been heating water on the stove when she got a phone call and left the room. When she returned about 15 minutes later, the kitchen was on fire, Morgan said.
The American Red Cross assisted the woman with food, clothing and referrals to partner agencies for long-term needs, a news release said.