Last month, three northern Beaufort County residents were killed within a week.
In two of those cases -- the shooting deaths of men from Beaufort and Seabrook -- suspects were charged with murder almost immediately after the killings. In a third case, no suspects have been identified.
New details have been released in one of the two cases in which charges were filed, the Jan. 25 shooting death of a Beaufort man. However, little has been uncovered in the Jan. 20 death of a Port Royal store owner.
Never miss a local story.
The Beaufort man killed Jan. 25 was shot during a fight with a man he had partied with the night before, a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said.
Herbert Evans, 33, was killed by Burton resident Bernard Chisolm after the two fought over an alleged theft, Sgt. Robin McIntosh said.
Evans and Chisolm had spent the night before the shooting with a group of people -- stopping at a bar in Bluffton and a house party in Cherry Point -- before they went to the home on Qualls Lane in Burton where the shooting occurred, McIntosh said. After the two began arguing, the dispute turned physical.
Chisolm pulled a gun, shot Evans and ran away, McIntosh said. She declined to discuss details of the alleged theft that led to the shooting.
Investigators searched Chisolm's Frederick Drive home about 12 hours after Evans' murder was reported. After interviewing Chisolm in his yard, he was arrested and charged with murder, the Sheriff's Office has said.
Chisolm was denied bond the next day and remains in the Beaufort County Detention Center, according to the jail log.
Few details have been released in the death of Port Royal beauty supply store owner Aboulhassan Aboulhassan, killed Jan. 20.
Aboulhassan, 48, was found unconscious and bleeding from a head injury in the AN Beauty Supply store he owned on Ribaut Road, Port Royal police said. He was taken to the Medical University of South Carolina, where he died, police said.
Aboulhassan's death was ruled a homicide after an autopsy Jan. 23 showed he died from a brain injury caused by being hit hard on the head.
Since then, few clues about Aboulhassan's death have been uncovered. Police have interviewed multiple people about the case, but still have not identified a suspect, motive or murder weapon, Deputy Chief Ron Wekenmann said. Nothing appears to have been taken from the store, he said.
Wekenmann said police are awaiting lab results, but declined to say what tests are being conducted, citing the ongoing investigation. He said the department expected to have results back soon, but they could be delayed by work on two other murder cases being handled by the Beaufort County Forensics Service Laboratory.
No new information has been released about the Jan. 18 shooting death of 27-year-old Seabrook resident Tyrice Washington.
Quinton Delaney Jr., who authorities say sped away after leaving a dying Washington at Beaufort Memorial Hospital, was charged with murder Jan. 22.
According to Sheriff's Office reports, Delaney and Washington had been drinking in a vehicle parked on Delaney Circle in Seabrook at about 10 p.m. when the shooting occurred. Both allegedly were handling firearms.
Investigators accuse Delaney of shooting Washington after a disagreement. McIntosh declined to say what they argued about.
Delaney allegedly drove around for a time before eventually dropping off Washington at the hospital's emergency room. Washington was pronounced dead soon after arrival, the report said.
Delaney drove away in a white Chevrolet Tahoe. Beaufort Police stopped the vehicle for speeding on Boundary Street a few minutes later. Officers found a handgun in plain view on the floorboard, the Sheriff's Office has said.
Delaney was charged Jan. 18 with speeding, unlawfully carrying a handgun and unlawful possession of a handgun with an obliterated serial number. The murder charge came two days later.
Delaney was denied bail and remains in the Beaufort County Detention Center.
Follow reporter Matt McNab at twitter.com/IPBG_Matt.