A bicyclist who died after being struck by a car Wednesday night in Okatie has not yet been identified by the Beaufort County Coroner’s Office and was the sixth rider to die in the county this year.
The victim was struck around 11:20 p.m. on S.C. 170 in the area of Bellinger Bluff Road as he or she attempted to cross the roadway and was struck by an eastbound 2001 Honda Accord, according to the S.C. Highway Patrol.
As of 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, an identification had not been determined, according to Deputy Coroner Deborah Youmans.
The driver involved was not injured and no charges are expected to be filed, the patrol said.
Other bicyclists killed on roadways in Beaufort County in 2016:
▪ Stanley Morton, 45, died near River’s End Road in Okatie around 11 p.m. on May 10.
▪ Matthew Proctor, 54, died on William Hilton Parkway near Queens Way on Hilton Head Island around 2:45 a.m. on Sept. 17.
▪ Jeff Garske, 66, died at on Cross Island Parkway on Hilton Head Island around 5:45 p.m. on Sept. 15.
▪ John Martin, 67, died after he was taken to a hospital after a crash on U.S. 278 near Shelter Cove Lane on Hilton Head Island on Nov. 1.
▪ Kevin Thomson, 60, died after a crash reported on U.S. 278 near Burnt Church Road in Bluffton on Nov. 21.