A wheelchair-bound St. Helena Island man escaped a fire late Wednesday night after he heard a “pop,” saw the blaze begin and was forced to crawl to safety.
The home on Peaches Hill Circle caught fire around 11:20 p.m. The blaze was possibly caused by an overloaded surge protector, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office report.
When the man heard fire start, he crawled out the front door and family members, who are also his neighbors, were able to help him.
“He stated he continued to hear popping sounds that may have come from his oxygen (tank) after he exited the residence,” the report said.
Never miss a local story.
He was unharmed, the report said, but was taken to Beaufort Memorial Hospital to be checked out.
The Lady’s Island-St. Helena Fire District responded to the scene and was able to get the fire under control, the report said. Estimates of damage to the home were unavailable.
The American Red Cross is assisting the man.