Beaufort issued a reminder this week about new parking enforcement measures.
Hours on downtown parking meters are now enforced from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Parking is free on Sunday.
Here’s a rundown of the city’s new parking rules most resulting from recommendations from a panel study last year:
- Rates for parking meters on Port Republic Street increased from 75 cents per hour to $1 per hour.
- Rates for parking meters on side streets north of Port Republic Street decreased from 75 cents per hour to 50 cents per hour.
- Time limits for metered parking spaces on Bay Street and side streets from Bay to Port Republic Street change to two hours. Some spaces previously had been marked for three and four hours.
- The “boot fee” increases to $100 for those with multiple unpaid parking tickets.
- The fine for illegally parking in a handicapped space increases to $500 to conform to state law.