A dog, two ferrets and four cats died Friday in a Burton mobile home fire, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office report.
The home on Bon Air Circle caught fire after the owner left a space heater on less than a foot away from a bed, the report said.
The Burton Fire District arrived to the scene at about noon to find smoke and flames coming from the home, which sustained major damage, according to spokesman Daniel Byrne.
The seven animals inside all died of smoke inhalation, Byrne said.
Never miss a local story.
Byrne said anything that emits heat, including space heaters, should be at least 3 feet away from anything capable of catching fire.
No one was at the home when deputies arrived, and the American Red Cross was called to assist the owner, according to Byrne.