A number of events are planned for Memorial Day weekend in Beaufort County.
- The 13th annual Memorial Day Community Picnic held by W. Brown Marshel will be from 1 to 4 p.m. Monday. The free picnic at Marshel's Wright-Donaldson Home for Funerals, 1814 Greene St., honors those who have served in and supported the military. Details: 843-525-6625.
- The annual Beaufort Memorial Day Parade will be at 10 a.m. Monday, followed by a traditional ceremony at Beaufort National Cemetery at noon. The parade will follow its usual route, beginning at Rodgers and Boundary streets. Organizations should call Elijah Washington at 843-525-6689 to participate in the parade.
- The National Exchange Club of Beaufort will place 50 flags on the front lawn of the University of South Carolina Beaufort on Sunday.
- The University of South Carolina Beaufort will present the fourth and final performance Sunday of "A Piece of My Heart," a play depicting the stories of women who served in the Vietnam War. The performance will be at 3 p.m. at the USCB Center for the Arts, 508 Carteret St. Tickets are $22 for adults, $20 for seniors and $15 for students. Details: 843-521-4145
Never miss a local story.
- The Hilton Head Choral Society will present "America Sings!" on Sunday, a tribute to all who have served in the military. Joined by the Hilton Head Shore Notes Women's Ensemble and the Serenade Savannah Brass Quartet, the chorus will perform at 7 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, 540 William Hilton Parkway. Tickets are $15 for general admission, $20 for preferred seating -- available online only -- and free for children 12 and under. Details: hiltonheadchoralsociety.org or 843-341-3818.
- The Hilton Head Island Council of the Navy League of the United States is sponsoring its 21st Annual Memorial Day Ceremony at 10:30 a.m. Monday at Shelter Cove Veterans' Memorial Park. The event will feature speaker Col. William Lieblein, commanding officer of the Marine Air Group at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort. Details: 843-842-5444
- The Sun City Veterans Association will celebrate Memorial Day weekend with a softball tournament Saturday starting at 9:30 a.m. at the Sun City softball field. It will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and the Fisher House Foundation.
- The association will also hold an event at 10 a.m. Monday in the parking lot of Magnolia Hall, featuring guest speaker Rear Adm. John R. Haley, director of global operations at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. Marchers will assemble at 8:30 a.m. for doughnuts and coffee.