A duplex on Ribaut Road in Port Royal was severely damaged in a fire Saturday night, displacing two families, according to a news release from the American Red Cross.
The Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department was called to the fire about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, according to Capt. John Robinson of the fire department. Robinson said cooking was the most likely cause of the fire.
"We determined the fire was not intentional, gas or electrical," Robinson said. "We were unable to rule out a fire caused by cooking."
The unit where the fire originated saw significant damage, with an attached unit sustaining smoke damage, Robinson said.
Never miss a local story.
The Red Cross provided the two families -- one composed of two adults and one child, and the other with one adult and one child -- with financial assistance, temporary housing and comfort kits.
Follow reporter Laura Oberle at twitter.com/IPBG_Laura.