A Yemassee home was destroyed in a fire early Friday morning after a pan was left on a burner, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office report.
Donald Bryan, 26, was sleeping in his 18 Bryant Lane home at about 1 a.m. when he awoke to the smell of smoke, the report said.
He woke his 46-year-old uncle, Otis Bryan, and they left the home and called 911, the report said. When deputies arrived, the Sheldon Fire District was battling flames that had engulfed the brick and wood house, the report said.
Firefighters extinguished the fire, but the $75,000 home was destroyed.