An employee's quick response to a fire at a Beaufort apartment complex Wednesday afternoon contained the blaze to a single room, according to a Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department spokesman.
A maintenance employee at the Parkview Apartments on Duke Street used a fire extinguisher on the fire that started in the bedroom of a second floor apartment around 3 p.m., Capt. John Robinson. The employee, a former Parris Island Fire Department firefighter, also shut the door to the apartment to keep the fire from spreading.
Beaufort firefighters put out the remnants of the fire shortly thereafter, Robinson said, limiting fire damage to the bedroom and minor smoke damage to the apartment.
"It was a result of the employee's action that the damage was minor," Robinson said. "It was excellent fire prevention."
Never miss a local story.
Follow reporter Matt McNab on Twitter at twitter.com/IPBG_Matt.