A Burton man was arrested and charged Saturday afternoon in a shooting earlier in the day that left a Beaufort man dead.
Officers arrested Bernard D. Chisolm, 22, about 6:10 p.m. in the yard of his Burton home at 5617 Frederick Drive. They charged him with murder and possession of a weapon in the commission of a violent crime in the death of 33-year-old Herbert H. Evans, a Sheriff's Office news release said.
After completing their interview of the suspect, deputies took him the Beaufort County Detention Center, where he will be held pending a bond hearing, the release said.
Deputies were first called to 17 Qualls Lane about 5:15 a.m. and found Evans dead, Beaufort County Coroner Ed Allen said.
The coroner and investigators declined to release additional details in the death. A gray Chevrolet with its passenger-side doors open was parked outside the small home where Evans was found. The home is located at the end of an unpaved street off Donaldson Camp Road.
An autopsy will be performed at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, the release said.
Evans was the third person killed in Beaufort County in about a week.
On Monday, a Port Royal beauty supply store owner, 48-year-old Aboulhassan Aboulhassan, was found in his store unconscious and bleeding from a head injury. He later died at the MUSC. His death from blunt force trauma was ruled a homicide Friday. No arrests have been made in that case.
On Jan. 18, 27-year-old Tyrice Washington of Seabrook was brought to Beaufort Memorial Hospital with a gunshot wound. The Sheriff's Office later charged the man who dropped him off, 21-year-old Quinton Delaney Jr., with Washington's murder.
Delaney is being held at the detentioncenter pending a bond hearing, according to court records.
Anyone with information on the Evans shooting can call either Cpl. Adam Zsamar at (843) 255-3408 or Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC (247-6372) or text the word TIPSC with a message to CRIMES (274637).
Follow reporter Rebecca Lurye on Twitter at twitter.com/IPBG_Rebecca.