A historical marker at Fort Fremont on St. Helena Island will officially be dedicated at 11 a.m. today.
Built in 1889 and active until 1921, the fort is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.
In 2004, Beaufort County bought 15 acres of the fort's land through the Rural and Critical Lands program.
County Council Chairman Paul Sommerville will be the master of ceremonies, and guests from the Friends of Fort Fremont, the S.C. State Historic Preservation Office and the S.C. Historical Marker Program will speak.
Never miss a local story.
The fort is off Lands End Road.