A fire alarm is credited with quickly alerting Beaufort firefighters to flames at a Battery Creek home Thursday night, enabling them to save the house.
The residents were not injured, but two dogs had to be rescued and treated for smoke inhalation. A pet turtle died in the smoke.
The single-story home caught fire at about 8:40 p.m., and firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke billowing out, according to the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department. Fire Chief Sammy Negron said firefighters prevented the flames from spreading.
The fire was contained to one room, causing about $15,000 in damage. It appeared to have been started by a heat lamp falling on combustible materials, according to the fire department.