A 52-year-old man died Monday after he fell from the roof of a Lady's Island home as he cleaned its chimney, according to the Beaufort County Coroner's Office.
Alan Parnelle fell from the rooftop of the home sometime before 4:30 p.m., which is when he arrived at Beaufort Memorial Hospital's emergency room, Coroner Ed Allen said.
Allen would not provide the address of the home where the incident occurred but said Parnelle did not live there and was hired by its owner to clean the chimney. Allen said Parnelle was "a local man" but declined to say exactly where Parnelle lived.
Parnelle was later flown to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, where he died during surgery, according to Allen.
Never miss a local story.
The cause of death was "internal injuries," Allen said, adding no autopsy will be performed.
It was unclear whether the man worked for a local chimney sweep company or was an independent contractor.
A spokeswoman for the S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation said state officials were aware of the fatality and are "evaluating" the incident.
Reporter Cassie Foss contributed to this report.
Follow reporter Patrick Donohue at twitter.com/ProtectServeBft.