A Shell Point family was saved by their carbon monoxide alarm Friday morning.
Shortly before 7 a.m., the Burton Fire District responded to the family’s home alarm to find “dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide” inside the house coming from “a malfunctioning water heater in the garage,” according to a district news release.
This family was not hurt by the colorless, odorless gas, but another Shell Point family was less lucky in October just after Hurricane Matthew, according to the release. All five family members were taken to the hospital after carbon monoxide spread in the home. The home’s generator was near an open window and there wasn’t an alarm present.
For more information on carbon monoxide and how to be prepared, visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s carbon monoxide FAQ page.