Beaufort County Council is slated to vote tonight on the controversial flyover bridges that would connect Bluffton Parkway with U.S. 278.
The plans seemed to hit a snag last week when a group of citizens launched a final effort to derail the project and Hilton Head Island Town Council withdrew its support, but Beaufort County Council's Public Facilities Committee voted unanimously Friday to advance two contracts -- one for flyover construction and another for construction management. Council will consider those contracts tonight.
The proposal would create a new road starting at Buckingham Plantation Drive that crosses the marsh between The Gatherings and Buckingham Landing. Two flyover bridges woulc connect the east and west lanes of U.S. 278 to Bluffton Parkway near the bridge to Hilton Head.
The project is expected to cost no more than $45 million.
Never miss a local story.
County Council meets at 5 p.m. at the Bluffton library, 120 Palmetto Way. For updates from the meeting, follow reporter Casey Conley at twitter.com/IPBG_Casey.
- Final vote set for Bluffton Parkway flyover contract, Feb. 22, 2013
- Kubic to Rodman: Who reviewed your flyover plan?, Feb. 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Hilton Head rebuke adds wrinkle to Bluffton Parkway flyover fight, Feb. 20, 2013
- Hilton Head Council votes to yank support for Bluffton Parkway flyover plan, Feb. 20, 2013
- Bluffton flyover opponents make final push; County says recent ad distorts facts, Feb. 18, 2013
- Beaufort County vows Bluffton Parkway flyover costs won't soar, Feb. 9, 2013