The Wexford Plantation Charitable Foundation donated $67,920 to 11 local charities -- less than a year after the foundation's founding.
The following charities have been awarded grants:
- Backpack Buddies: A program for children through the Hunger and Homeless Coalition that gives students food over the weekend. The grant will fill backpacks for 20 needy Hilton Head students.
- Children's Relief Fund: For 21 years this group has tried to meet the medical needs of special needs children of Hilton Head. This grant will fund physical, speech and occupational therapy for children with disabilities who lack the resources to do so.
- Family Promise: An innovative transitional housing program for 25 homeless families on Hilton Head. This grant will purchase and furnish a room in the Day Center which will provide classes on household management as well as two washer/dryer components.
- Hope Haven: This grant will support the services of the Children's Advocacy Program through forensic interviews, counseling and medical exams for child abuse victims.
- Meals on Wheels: For 33 years this volunteer-driven agency has provided one meal a day to any person who cannot provide for themselves. Its primary focus is on the elderly. The Wexford Plantation Foundation grant will provide four clients with one nutritional meal per day for an entire year.
- Memory Matters: This grant will provide 800 hours of free respite care to families with dementia and Alzheimer's disease who otherwise could not afford such daycare services. In 2012, 25 percent of the clients were on full scholarship and met poverty guidelines.
- National Alliance for Mentally Ill: The grant will fund a new project, Parents and Teachers as Allies. It is a school in-service program aimed at training parents and school professionals to identify warning signs and intervention techniques for teens and children with mental illness. This program will reach more 5,700 Hilton Head students.
- Neighborhood Outreach Connection: This grant will fund three teachers in one low income neighborhood, The Oaks, to provide academic support and mentoring in an after-school tutoring and homework support program.
- Programs for Exceptional People: Since 1996 this organization has provided skill training for adults with special needs and promoted their independence. This grant will provide funds toward a 15-passenger van to use to transport clients to job sites, and educational and recreational activities.
- Second Helpings: This grant will provide fuel for the five refrigerated trucks on the road six days each week delivering food to the needy. Volunteers deliver donated food, from grocers and restaurants, to churches, soup kitchens, food pantries and child and senior centers on Hilton Head and beyond.
- Wish Upon a Horse: This therapeutic riding center provides equine therapy to adults and children with physical and developmental disabilities. The grant will provide funding to lease horses and purchase specialized riding equipment for its students.
The foundation is supported primarily by property owners of Wexford Plantation. Its mission is to raise funds to support charities on Hilton Head Island and in Beaufort County.