Firefighters are still attempting to find the cause of a blaze at a Spring Island home on Christmas Day. The Bluffton Township Fire District had to knock down walls near the chimney in search of the origin and leave a firefighter at the home overnight in case more flames erupted. The fire remained out. Chimneys with cracks, gaps or soot buildup leave many hiding places for embers, which can smolder for weeks before igniting other parts of a home, Capt. Randy Hunter said. The fire is a reminder of risks unique to the colder months of the year, which county departments have been warning residents about through a variety of public safety campaigns. As residents begin to take down trees and lights, there are also tips for storing and disposing of them to avoid fire risk.