Having canceled their wedding, their reception, and a honeymoon to the Mayan Riviera, Rhyan Mazur-Williamson and her husband Michael say they're still tallying how much an attack on the bride-to-be last weekend at the Beaufort Inn will cost them.
"We may get some credits, but it appears we are going to lose a lot of money since weddings are not cheap," Mazur-Williamson wrote in an e-mail to The Beaufort Gazette. "We'd planned this awesome wedding, but unfortunately this incident occurred."
Mazur-Williamson was beaten early Saturday bya still-unknown assailant inside a cottage at the Beaufort Inn. Police say the man entered the cottage through a broken rear window and attacked the 26-year-old Beaufort native, causing multiple fractures to her nose and face.
The couple was scheduled to be married the next day at Sea Island Presbyterian Church on Lady's Island with a reception to follow at The Oaks Plantation. The couple canceled both events and instead were married in the backyard of the St. Helena Island home of the bride's parents after she was released from Beaufort Memorial Hospital.
Mazur-Williamson said the couple haven't rescheduled the honeymoon; they had planned to leave April 19 for Mexico's Mayan Riviera.
"I am sure we will think of something," she said in the e-mail. "This whole experience is very difficult for both of us. I would rather be broke from the wedding and sitting in Mexico in our Royal Suite than dealing with this tragic ordeal."
Mazur-Williamson said support from friends, family and even strangers has poured in since the attack in the form of phone calls, e-mails and messages on the couple's Facebook pages.
"We have received over 500 e-mails through our personal e-mails and Facebook," she wrote. "I really cannot express how (much) everyone's well wishes and kind words mean to us right now."
The couple declined to comment on their feelings about the pace of the Beaufort Police Department's investigation into the attack.
Police say they know little about the man who attacked Mazur-Williamson other than that he is a 25- to 30-year-old man, possibly Hispanic, about 5-feet-7 with long hair and a thin build. No suspects or persons of interest have been publicly identified, Beaufort Police Chief Matt Clancy said earlier this week.