Two free music series in northern Beaufort County begin with concerts Saturday in the town of Port Royal and city of Beaufort.
PICKIN' BY THE RIVER
The Pickin' by the River series in Beaufort's Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park started out simple and small, but has increased to a series of four days this summer and fall, organizer Pat Claxton said.
Each informal concert includes four or five bands, which are occasionally joined by musicians who come to listen, and runs from noon to 5 p.m. Most of the artists play folk, country and bluegrass music, Claxton said.
Never miss a local story.
"It's just sort of laid-back music," she said. "People who like this kind of music like to listen to it live and acoustic."
In addition to Saturday, Pickin' by the River is scheduled for June 21, Sept. 6 and Oct. 25.
Street Music is returning to Port Royal for a spring series of four open-air concerts in the middle of Paris Avenue.
The series is a joint effort of the town and ARTworks, the nonprofit community art center, theater and gallery run by the Arts Council of Beaufort, Port Royal & Sea Islands. There are two series a year, one that starts in spring and continues into the summer, and another later in summer that continues into fall. Dates for the second series will be announced later.
The town covers the cost of the open-air concerts, which is about $20,000 annually, or $10,000 per series
Concerts begin at 6:30 p.m. on a stage that will be set up between 9th and 10th streets. Shows will be:
- Saturday: Reckless Mercy, recklessmercy.com
- May 31: Lauren Mitchell Band, laurenmitchellband.com
- June 14: Mac Arnold & Plate Full O' Blues, macarnold.com
- June 28: Bart Walker Band, bartwalkerband.com
- Contemporary Christian band Reckless Mercy to kick off Street Music Series in Port Royal, May 14, 2014
- Port Royal Street Music spring series kicks off May 17, April 7, 2014
- Get pickin': Acoustic music event draws musicians to Beaufort, Oct. 21, 2011