Beaufort Liquidation is opening a 40,000-square-foot warehouse and flea market near the Highway 21 Drive In theater as it expands its business and prepares to film a TV show that could air in the fall, according to owner Jeff Lowe.
The original location, 164 Robert Smalls Parkway, opened almost two years ago. Last summer, Lowe ran several auctions out of the former O.C. Welch dealership on Robert Smalls Parkway, which is now the site of Vaden of Beaufort's new showroom. Firecracker Films crews captured footage of those auctions for a pilot of a reality TV show about the liquidation business.
That show, tentatively titled "Low Country Liquidators" according to a trailer running in the store, is expected to air in the fall, Lowe said. He expects the Firecracker crews to return for more filming next month.
The new center is on 12 acres at the former 84 Lumber building at 5 Parker Drive. It opens Saturday, and the flea market will extend through Monday.
It will include a warehouse where pallets of goods will be sold wholesale, a 10,000-square-foot retail store and up to 400 booths for the flea market. Only 225 will be open to begin with, and they rent for $20 a day. Auctions, which Lowe said he typically loses money on, will probably be done as requested by Firecracker.
Lowe envisions the original location becoming a store for higher-end, liquidated clothing.
Hours: Store, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week; flea market, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Information: 843-524-2995, facebook.com/BeaufortLiquidation
In other changes about town:
- Lady's Island Country Club is being remodeled, and work is expected to be finished late this year. The building will be stripped to its beams and rebuilt to provide open views of the golf course and outdoor seating. The golf course and pro shop will remain open during renovations, and the club will offer specials. Information: 843-524-3635, LadysIslandCC.com
- Rancho Grande Mexican restaurant, 136 Sea Island Parkway, Lady's Island, is opening a second location in Beaufort. It is moving into the former home of the SandBar and Grill, 41 Robert Smalls Parkway, Beaufort Plaza, according to a sign on the door. The SandBar closed in January after more than three years at the location.
- Reality TV show to be filmed in Beaufort, Oct. 11, 2012
- Downtown farmers market returns to Beaufort, May 3, 2013
- Beaufort Memorial administrative offices moving into new building, April 26, 2013