Name: Sandy Hanson
Church: Holy Resurrection Greek Orthodox Church
Member for: Five and a half years
Activity in church: Secretary of the parish council
A special place. The fellowship at Holy Resurrection is very unique because we are so small. We come from all different backgrounds -- Russian, Serbian, Lebanese, Greek. It's very warm, it's very comforting. I like the music and the incense and the mysticism. Nothing ever changes in the Orthodox Church. That's the way it was in the beginning, and that's the way it will go on forever.
God will provide. Right now, we're looking for a place to have our church on Sundays. That's one of my main objectives right now, to find something to rent or buy. I'm learning to have faith that God will provide. I just feel like God's going to provide, someway, somehow.
A sense of tradition. The time of the year I enjoy the most is Easter, Holy Week. It's very big in the Greek Orthodox Church. It's a time of renewal. It's a time of repentance. I'm used to going to church every day during Holy Week, and we just can't do that here. It creates some urgency in finding a new place.
Favorite Bible verse. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13
Follow reporter Laura Oberle at twitter.com/IPBG_Laura.
- In Good Faith: 'We're helping tell the whole story of Christmas through the music we sing'
- In Good Faith: 'Volunteering makes me connected to people
- In Good Faith: 'We've been given this mission'
- In Good Faith: Deiha Torin of Island Lutheran Church
OTHER FAITH AND VALUES STORIES BY LAURA OBERLE
- 'Thanksgivukkah' poses possibilities, problems for Beaufort County Jewish families
- Hilton Head Island priest wins New Yorker caption contest
- 'Fred the Fantastique': Retired minister revels in bringing joy through magic tricks
- Live to Give: Hilton Head Island woman draws from past to bring hope to kids' futures
- Beaufort resident Charlie Frost helps choose music for national Presbyterian hymnal, 'Glory to God'