Any beer lover can get tired of the same old national or international beer brands season after season, year after year. Finding a new beer to love that’s made by your neighbors with local soul is easy.
There are five breweries in and around Beaufort County with varied and ever-changing selections to try out. Whether you consider yourself an expert on beer or you’re new to beer and looking to figure out what you like, you’re likely to find something you love at one of these local spots.
1. Hilton Head Brewing Company
Hilton Head Brewing Company, set on the north end of the island, has craft brews across South Carolina and the region. The team, under the leadership of owner Juan Brantley and Head Brewer and Production Manager Bob Migliacco, boasts over a dozen different brews. If you stop in, consider trying Folly, Hefe or any one of the company’s other brews.
▪ 1 Cardinal Road, Suite 13, Hilton Head Island
▪ Open Monday through Sunday, 2 p.m. - 8 p.m.
2. Southern Barrel Brewing Company
Southern Barrel Brewing Company located in Bluffton works to combine “the beauty of old with a taste of the new.” With a new small batch brew out each quarter, a dog friendly beer garden and a tavern area to sit down for a meal, you’re sure to find something to love. If you stop in, consider trying Slippery Slope Double IPA or Wild Bramble Kettle Sour or one of the company’s other brews.
▪ 375 Buckwalter Place Boulevard, Bluffton
▪ Open Monday through Wednesday, 4 p.m. - 9 p.m. and Thursday through Sunday, 11:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. (11 p.m. on Friday)
3. Salt Marsh Brewing
Salt Marsh Brewing in Old Town Bluffton started in 2013 by Nick Borreggine and James Brown. Conveniently located above Fat Patties for anyone craving a burger to go with their pint, Salt Marsh tackles a handful of diverse brews to share with neigbors and visitors to Bluffton. If you stop in, consider trying Broad Creek, Nana’s Puddin’ or or any one of the company’s other brews.
▪ 207 Bluffton Road, Bluffton
▪ Open Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. - 12 a.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
4. River Dog Brewing Company
River Dog Brewing Company is in the Okatie area, right off S.C. 170 in Riverwalk Business Park. Sit down and share a small plate, take cans, bottles or a growler to go or enjoy the dog friendly outdoor seating. If you stop in, consider trying Perkolatte, Hoppy Wife, Hoppy Life or any one of the company’s other brews.
▪ 591 Browns Cove Road North, Suite H, Ridgeland
▪ Open Tuesday through Thursday, 3 p.m. - 9 p.m., Friday 3 p.m. - 10 p.m., Saturday noon - 6 p.m., closed Sunday and Monday
5. Dead Eric Brewing Company
Dead Eric Brewing Company specializes in customized “commission beers and unique brewing styles” including a breakfast beer. The brewery aims to work with charity fundraisers, artists and other local brewers. If you stop in, consider trying Dead Red or dream up a new brew.
▪ 433 Old House Road, Ridgeland
▪ Open Wednesday 4:30 p.m. - 8 p.m., Thursday and Friday, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m., Saturday 1 p.m. - 5 p.m., closed Sunday through Tuesday
▪ Find them on Facebook