A fire that started in the attic of a two-story home in Wexford Plantation early Tuesday did minimal damage, according to the Town of Hilton Head Fire & Rescue Division.
Firefighters arrived at 5:19 a.m. at the Wexford Drive house to find smoke coming from the attic. The two people inside the home got out safely, according to spokeswoman Joheida Fister.
Firefighters contained the blaze to a space above the first-floor ceiling and the enclosure of a brick fireplace flue. It was extinguished shortly after 6 a.m., and damaged only a small part of the attic.
Faulty electrical wiring appears to be the cause, the division said.