Stove likely caused Beaufort house fire

newsroom@islandpacket.comJune 13, 2014 

A fire that damaged a Beaufort home and killed a dog June 6 likely started with a stove that was accidentally left on, according to Deputy Fire Chief Clay Scoggins of the Beaufort Fire Department.

The stove ignited books and other combustibles left on top of it, Scoggins said in an email.

Fire spread throughout the South Royal Oaks Drive home, severely damaging the kitchen and adjoining rooms, Scoggins said. The house also had extensive smoke damage.

The home's lone resident was not inside at the time of the fire, but three dogs were, Scoggins said. One of the dogs did not survive.

The American Red Cross provided financial assistance for food, clothing and temporary lodging, as well as referrals to partner agencies for the resident.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service