Burton mobile home fire leaves 7 animals dead

newsroom@islandpacket.comJune 8, 2014 

A dog, two ferrets and four cats died Friday in a Burton mobile home fire, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office report.

The home on Bon Air Circle caught fire after the owner left a space heater on less than a foot away from a bed, the report said.

The Burton Fire District arrived to the scene at about noon to find smoke and flames coming from the home, which sustained major damage, according to spokesman Daniel Byrne.

The seven animals inside all died of smoke inhalation, Byrne said.

Byrne said anything that emits heat, including space heaters, should be at least 3 feet away from anything capable of catching fire.

No one was at the home when deputies arrived, and the American Red Cross was called to assist the owner, according to Byrne.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service