Laundromat evacuated after lint fire

rlurye@islandpacket.comApril 25, 2014 

A Burton laundromat was evacuated following a dryer fire Friday afternoon, a Burton Fire District spokesman said.

Firefighters arrived at Suds City on Parris Island Gateway shortly after 5:30 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the building, spokesman Dan Byrne said.

The flames were contained to one dryer, where a lint trap had caught fire, igniting the clothes inside, Byrne said. No one was injured in the incident, which closed two lanes of Parris Island Gateway for about an hour.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service