Yard fire spreads, destroys shed, burns Burton house's roof

mmcnab@beaufortgazette.comApril 1, 2014 

A yard debris fire spread to a Burton resident's home and also destroyed a shed Tuesday, a Burton Fire District spokesman said.

Firefighters arrived at the home on Jeter Road about 1:30 p.m. to find the fire had ignited a shed and spread to the roof of a home, spokesman Dan Byrne said. Firefighters contained the fire to the home's roof and put it out in 30 minutes, he added.

Firefighters were on scene for two hours in all.

Damage to the home was limited to the roof and the exterior, although the home's interior had smoke damage. The shed was a loss, Byrne said.

No injuries resulted from the fire. The Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department and Beaufort County EMS also responded, Byrne said.

Follow reporter Matt McNab on Twitter at twitter.com/IPBG_Matt.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service