Three residential fires cause minor damage in Beaufort this week

newsroom@islandpacket.comMarch 27, 2014 

Members of the Beaufort Fire Department's Beaufort-Port Royal squad unit respond to Wednesday's fire on Battery Creek Road.

SUBMITTED PHOTO

No injuries and minor damage were reported in three residential fires in Beaufort this week, according to a city of Beaufort news release.

The Beaufort Fire Department extinguished a laundry room fire Monday on Washington Street in Beaufort. Firefighters found combustibles stored too close to a gas water heater, the release said.

On Tuesday, Beaufort firefighters responded to a stove-top fire on Drayton Drive.

A space heater placed too close to combustible materials likely sparked a third fire Wednesday on Battery Creek Road, the release said.

"Damage was minimized because of early notification, quick fire department response and the proper firefighting strategies," Beaufort Fire Chief Sammy Negron said. "We are fortunate to have highly-trained and highly-capable firefighters."

According to Capt. John Robinson, all three fires were unintentional, but preventable.

"None of these structures had working smoke alarms," Robinson said. "They were installed, but weren't working or had been disabled."

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service