Chisolm, wanted in 2-year-old's death, surrenders to Sheriff's Office

newsroom@islandpacket.comMarch 8, 2014 

LaQuana Chisholm

The woman wanted in connection with the death of a St. Helena Island 2-year-old, surrendered to Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office investigators at about 6 p.m. Friday.

LaQuana Chere Chisolm, 26, was wanted on one count of homicide by child abuse in the death of her boyfriend’s daughter. Phylicia Anaya Garry was struck in the head with a dumbbell, authorities have said. She died at about noon Thursday at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, where she had been airlifted after a traumatic head injury suffered while in Chisolm’s care March 4.

Chisolm at first told investigators the child hit her head falling out of bed but later admitted that she struck the child in the head with a dumbbell while exercising, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Medical care for Garry was not sought until more than three hours after she was injured, and only after a family member came home and discovered Garry unconscious and unresponsive on the couch, the Sheriff’s Office says.

Chisolm originally was charged with unlawful conduct towards a child, and she was released on bond Wednesday. After Garry’s death, investigators upgraded Chisolm’s charge to homicide and sought to arrest her again. Chisolm is being held at the Beaufort County Detention Center, where she awaits a bond hearing, according to a Sheriff’s Office news release Saturday.

Check back at for updates as they become available.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service