Free income-tax preparation will be available to residents of Beaufort and Jasper counties starting Jan. 21 at more than a dozen locations, through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program.
The program is designed to help taxpayers take advantage of tax credits when filing state and federal taxes each year. In 2014, the program hopes to help file 2,500 returns, according to a news release.
Last year, the program helped Beaufort County taxpayers collect $3.2 million in tax refunds, the release said.
To participate, taxpayers should visit one of the program's locations and bring a complete copy of their 2013 tax return, any 2013 property-tax receipts, information on deductions, a copy of their Social Security card, valid photo ID, and bank account and routing number information for depositing any refunds.
Participants should also bring 2013 tax forms, including W-2; 1099INT and 1099DIV; 1098 mortgage interest; 1099R and SSA-1099; and 1098-T tuition payment statements.
Volunteers will be available at the following locations:
- Beaufort library, 311 Scott St. (opens Jan. 27) -- 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays and 1:30 to 7 p.m. Thursdays.
- SCBT, 1121 Boundary St. (opens Jan. 21) -- 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays.
- Piggly Wiggly, 1900 Boundary St. (opens Jan. 24) -- 9 a.m. to noon Fridays.
- St. Paul Baptist Church, 22 St. Paul Church Road (opens Jan. 24) -- 1 to 4 p.m. Fridays.
- Bluffton library, 120 Palmetto Way (opens Jan. 27) -- 2 to 7 p.m. Mondays.
- Goodwill Industries, 509 Island West Park (opens Jan. 23) -- 4 to 8 p.m. Thursdays.
- USCB South Campus, 1 University Blvd. (opens Jan. 25) -- 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
- Piggly Wiggly, 1347 Ribaut Road (opens Jan. 21) -- 1 to 5 p.m. each Tuesday.
- CBC National Bank, 1700 Ribaut Road (opens Jan. 23) -- 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays.