Family held hostage, rooms ransacked in Beaufort home invasion

info@islandpacket.comDecember 21, 2013 

STOCK PHOTO

Two masked, armed men forced their way into a Beaufort home Thursday evening and held a family captive before fleeing minutes later, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

The suspects, described as black males wearing masks and gloves, knocked on the door at a home in the 100 block of Burton Wells Road about 6:40 p.m., according to Lt. Col. Bill Neill.

When two children opened the door, the suspects forced their way inside, brandishing guns, Neill said. They shut the children and their mother in a bedroom and told them not to open the door, he said.

The victims could hear the men ransacking the home and dumping the contents of drawers. When it appeared the suspects had gone, the mother left the room and called 911, Neill said.

As of midday Saturday, the victim had not determined whether anything had been stolen, according to Neill. The suspects may have fled without any property because they failed to find small valuables, such as jewelry or cash, he said.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service